One Day in Senior Year

Were we high school sweethearts? Sort of, maybe. Although we attended the same high school for the full four years, we didn’t meet until our senior year. A week into the new school year, I transferred into the morning theater class. I walked in and scanned the class for familiar faces and to my luck I spotted an empty chair at a table where a couple of friends sat. I took my seat and started to notice the guy (Jabi) who sat across from me, he was doing his best to not look my way. (Jabi later confessed that he was nervous because he thought I was pretty.) The more he refused to look at me, the more compelled I became to look at him. I studied him for a minute and he finally gave in and looked at me, before he diverted his attention again I shot him a quick smile. I grinned to myself and thought “He’s going to be my boyfriend one day.” A very matter of fact statement, but I believed myself to have premonitions back in the day.

As the school year progressed we got to know each other a lot better, we even played opposite love roles for Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer’s Night Dream,” I was Titania Queen of the Fairies and he was Nick Bottom “The Ass,” respectively.

Almost ten years later, after the normal trials couples face, we have discovered a way to stay connected. We have fun and joke around; we also have respect for each other and support one another through everything life throws our way. Most importantly we are still very much in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment